Monday, November 11, 2013

http://www.pcmshop.info/ extreme caution suggested

I was looking to buy something as always and I stumbled upon this website
http://www.pcmshop.info
now the price seemed decent, but I decided to do some searching first.
My observations:
The prices I see are listed in british pounds. While the "contact us" information states they are based in the US. Now that is not unlikely, but usually you have to choose your currency. Automaticaly is turned in the currency the company is based on.
They do not list a phone number.

the most striking thing though was that in the contact page they mention that
"1) We do not sell. 
 2) Our site provides only information."

What the fuck?
I am going to pay 100 quid to receive information?

the other interesting thing is that they do seem to have a shopping cart, but no button to buy the items you want.
What the heck Jose?

13 comments:

  1. It's just there to get you to press one of the big green buttons with an arrowhead on it. Result = they get a click-thru free

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. Its interesting, I wasnt aware of that. Wikipedia has some info
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click-through_rate

      Delete
  2. It's affiliate marketing. Not really a scam, but shouldn't be in Google Shopping either.
    They get a percentage of sales made through the sites they link to. All tracked via cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting.
      Bake the cookies with fire from orbit :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about order a note 8 which seemed cheap. Then I wanted to contact them to know more about the product. The phone number does not answer, false phone number. It looks more like a scam than reality.
    Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phone number is Romanian and looks like a premium rate. I didn't try to call it. +40 (8) , presumably to look like a US San Jose number, which is + 1 408

      As for the currency, can't tell anything from that. There is a button to switch instantly to Euros or dollars.

      Delete
  5. Half price seemed too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was about to buy a 2TB drive from there...sounded like a great deal but because I hadn't heard of the company before, I decided to goggle it (seemed weird that they didn't have a "About the site" link...where they are located, etc)....my search led me here. Thank you so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just been on this site myself. Seemed to good to be true. And its was! -+ Nothing "about" the company
    + Terms and conditions - Gibberish!
    + I was still thinking of ordering an item until I realised No Padlock symbol or web page security. Its cheaper to pay a bit extra than compromise my financial details.

    ReplyDelete